Outdoor recreation never stops in Wisconsin, including in the middle of winter! Whether you’re into downhill skiing and snowboarding, cross-country skiing, or winter hiking/snowshoeing, there are plenty of great things to do in La Crosse, WI this winter. That includes visits to the extraordinary National Eagle Center on the Great River Road, too!
There are many exceptional spots along the Great River Road in Wisconsin for birdwatching throughout the year. Fall and spring migrations are magnificent, but in the winter, the eagles and raptors come to town and put on an exciting show. One of the best places to see Bald Eagles and other raptors in the winter is the National Eagle Center in Wabasha. It’s only an hour up the Great River Road from our Wisconsin Bed and Breakfast and can be combined with other exciting adventures along the way.
Whether the National Eagle Center works into your plans or not this winter, a romantic winter couples getaway in Wisconsin is only complete when you include lodging at our romantic castle in downtown La Crosse. It’s not often you get the chance to stay in a castle, especially one as luxurious and charming as ours. Unwind, relax, and enjoy the best of La Crosse this winter. It’s the best winter couples getaway in Wisconsin! Book your room today.
Winter Birdwatching: National Eagle Center
The National Eagle Center is located just north of us in Minnesota along the Great River Road. It’s a major landmark on the Mississippi River and a must for avid birdwatching enthusiasts. Though eagles and raptors can be seen up and down the Mississippi River, the National Eagle Center in Wabasha is located at a major nesting ground for these majestic birds.
Though the National Eagle Center is in Wabasha, there is actually great viewing of eagles on both the Minnesota and Wisconsin sides of the river, and there are several visitor experiences to choose from. Highlights of a visit to the National Eagle Center include the following:
- Eagle Habitat Tours, in which you’ll head to pre-scouted locations to observe Bald Eagles, nest sites, migrating waterfowl, wildlife, and Golden Eagles that overwinter in the region. It’s a 2.5-hour experience that includes expert naturalists.
- You can also take a river cruise up the Mississippi River to view Bald Eagles and other wildlife. This is a great way to get an up-close look at their behavior and habitat. The experience lasts for 2 hours and includes expert guides.
- There are also seasonal field trips you can take at the National Eagle Center to learn more about either Bald Eagles or Golden Eagles and see them in their habitats.
- Bald Eagles aren’t the only species that move through the National Eagle Center in winter. It’s also a popular destination for wintering waterfowl. There are always naturalists on hand to talk more about seasonal migrations, bird species, and their various habitats.
- Finally, you can take a journey behind the scenes at the National Eagle Center in which you’ll have some hands-on experiences as you learn more about our resident ambassadors.
In addition to offering great viewing opportunities for eagles in the area, the National Eagle Center also houses two floors of interactive and informative exhibits about these beautiful birds. It’s truly a fascinating place to visit and a rare opportunity to see so many of these incredible raptors in one place. A visit here is also a great reminder of just how special the Great River Road and its protected habitats are.
The Perfect Winter Couples Getaway in Wisconsin
We can’t recommend a winter birding experience at the National Eagle Center enough – it’s truly a gem along the Upper Mississippi River. It’s just one of the fantastic things to do in La Crosse, WI this winter, though, so make our romantic Wisconsin Bed and Breakfast your home away from home. Our romantic castle is the leading couples getaway in Wisconsin, and for good reason!
The accommodations alone make our Inn the best couples getaway in Wisconsin. The rooms are massive, truly reflecting the grandeur of our entire castle experience. Big as they are, what truly sets our guest rooms apart are the luxury appointments. Gorgeous, comfortable queen or king-sized beds, luxury linens, and a healthy range of high-end amenities throughout. You’ll enjoy all the creature comforts of home throughout your couples getaway in Wisconsin, but none of the stress that comes with it!
In every guest room and common area of the castle, you’ll find intact features of the original house, all of which have been lovingly restored and maintained over the years. This includes a truly breathtaking library, pictured above, outfitted with books and games, and a gorgeous living room with a playable piano. Guests also love to sit on our covered porch, a bright and airy space that is as warm and inviting in the winter as it is in summer.
Of course, one of the best parts about a couples getaway in Wisconsin is our decadent house-made breakfast, served fresh to you each morning in our grand dining room. We take great pride in crafting a delicious breakfast for our guests and always go the extra mile to ensure it’s a treasured part of the experience at our Bed and Breakfast in Wisconsin. There’s so much more we could stay at the guest experience at our Wisconsin Bed and Breakfast, but we think it would be better for you to just get here and experience it yourself. Book your couples getaway in Wisconsin today!