Though we all know and love La Crosse as an exciting destination for hiking, biking, and spending time along the magnificent Mississippi River, you might be surprised to learn there are just as many things to do in La Crosse, WI in the winter! Spend an afternoon skiing at Mt La Crosse Ski Area, for example, before returning to the cozy, luxurious accommodations at our Wisconsin Bed and Breakfast.
Like most Wisconsin ski areas, Mt La Crosse Ski Area is a charming destination, perfect for a fun day in the snow. Like most of the best things to do in La Crosse, Mt La Crosse Ski Area is just minutes from us. In no time at all, you can go from a sensational breakfast in our dining room to the slopes before returning back for a relaxed evening like no other.
Our proximity to things like Mt La Crosse Ski Area is, of course, just one of the many reasons to stay with us at our Wisconsin Bed and Breakfast. The real reason to visit us this winter is to relish the opportunity to relax and unwind in our sumptuous, well-appointed castle, where you can take that needed downtown to savor every moment. We offer a romantic getaway in Wisconsin like no other. Book your room at our Wisconsin Bed and Breakfast today!
A Day at Mt La Crosse Ski Area in Wisconsin
Drive fifteen minutes south of our Bed and Breakfast in Wisconsin, and you’ll find yourself at the Mt La Crosse Ski Area. It’s easy to get to and promises a full day of skiing and snowboarding for all you winter sports enthusiasts!
Mt La Crosse Ski Area, which first opened in 1959, may be unassuming at first glance, but it actually has the biggest vertical drop of all the ski areas in Wisconsin. But despite offering some steep and expert terrain, the Mt La Crosse Ski Area boasts something for all skiers and snowboarders.
Mt La Crosse Ski Area features 18 skiable runs and a terrain park, all serviced by three uphill chair lifts. There’s also a rope tow area for true beginners to practice and get more comfortable before heading uphill on a chairlift.
For an exceptional ski experience, consider night skiing at Mt La Crosse Ski Area. All the same terrain is open, but skiing under the stars is exceedingly beautiful – and there are also far fewer people competing for space on the slopes at night!
You can buy single or multi-day passes to ski or snowboard at the Mt La Crosse Ski Area, and there are also rentals available in case you don’t want to haul your own gear with you.
Thanks to the steep vertical drop of Mt La Crosse Ski Area and the challenging terrain it presents, they also host various local and regional races, including the annual Wisconsin State and High School Ski and & Snowboard Championships.
Perhaps the best thing about a chilly, exciting day spent at Mt La Crosse Ski Area is knowing you’ll soon be heading home to the most spacious and luxurious guest rooms in La Crosse. Few get the opportunity to stay in an elegant, well-maintained castle, but you can do just that when you stay with us at our Wisconsin Bed and Breakfast!
More Things to Do in La Crosse, WI This Winter
Mt La Crosse Ski Area is just one of the many things waiting for you in La Crosse this winter. Just like the rest of the year, there are more than enough things to do in La Crosse in the winter to keep you busy and having fun.
From exploring the chilly but beautiful outdoors to finding cozy spots to enjoy away from the harsh elements of winter, we’d love to help you discover a new winter getaway this year. Aside from thrilling afternoons at Mt La Crosse Ski Area, we’ve curated a list of some of the best things to do in La Crosse in the winter.
- Hiking is one of the most popular things to do in La Crosse throughout the year, and it’s no different in winter! Strap on a pair of snowshoes or cross-country skis and get outside to explore beautiful places like Veteran’s Memorial Park, Hixon Forest, and the La Crosse River State Trail.
- If you’ve enjoyed biking on La Crosse’s regional biking trails this year, try them in the winter! Fat Tire Biking across the snow is quickly growing as one of the most popular things to do in La Crosse in the winter. Great places to consider include the Upper & Lower Hickson Forest, the La Crosse River State Trail, and the nearby Elroy-Sparta Trail.
- Snowmobiling is one of the most popular things to do in Wisconsin each winter, and there are plenty of great snowmobiling trails here in the La Crosse area.
- If you’ve seen the views from Grandad Bluff in the fall, we encourage you to head up there to see them in the stark contrasts of winter. The landscapes here are breathtaking, no matter the season!
- Though the annual fall migration of birds is over, there’s always excellent birdwatching in the La Crosse Area, including at places like the Upper Mississippi National Wildlife Refuge and Trempealeau National Wildlife Refuge. This is the best time of year to see bald eagles, tundra swans, Great Egrets, and waterfowl.
- Another of the fun things to do in La Crosse in the winter is ice fishing. Ice fishing is a fun winter tradition in Wisconsin, and the backwaters of the Mississippi River and Lake Onalaska are great places to do it!
- Enjoy a little shopping in the historic downtown La Crosse. It’s also a great place to go antiquing, as La Crosse is home to one of the largest antique malls in the state.
- Don’t forget some of the more romantic things to do in La Crosse in the winter, too, including romantic dinners at restaurants like Lovechild and performances at the Pump House Regional Arts Center.
Of course, as wonderful as these things are, we don’t blame you if all you want to do is curl up and stay cozy at our elegant Wisconsin Bed and Breakfast. Winter is perfect for that, too! Grab one of our books or bring your own, find your favorite cozy nook from among our many common areas, and sink into a blissful escape at Castle La Crosse. Book your room today!