With a charming, historic downtown situated on the breathtaking bluffs of the Mississippi River, it’s easy to see why La Crosse, Wisconsin, is an increasingly sought-after getaway destination. It’s not only beautiful but there are plenty of fantastic things to do in La Crosse, WI, too – especially for the avid outdoor enthusiast. In fact, there are more than 200 miles of hiking and biking trails in the La Crosse area and several rivers that converge and flow in the Mighty Mississippi for endless fun on the water.
When you need a break from outdoor adventures, there’s plenty to enjoy in the area, including a delicious array of restaurants in downtown La Crosse and several great breweries and wineries within an hour of us. There’s plenty of arts and culture to enjoy, too – With so many fantastic things to do in La Crosse, WI, and four seasons to enjoy them, there’s never been a better time to explore this charming river town.
While you’re in town enjoying the best of La Crosse, leave yourself plenty of time to relax and unwind at our top-rated Bed and Breakfast in Wisconsin. Castle La Crosse is rated as a top romantic getaway in Wisconsin – and it’s easy to see why. Our Inn is situated in one of the best-surviving examples of a 19th-century grandeur, offering guests the rare opportunity to spend a night of opulence in a castle. There’s truly no other romantic getaway in Wisconsin that compares. Book your room at our luxury Bed and Breakfast today!
The Top Things to Do in La Crosse, WI
There are plenty of things to do in La Crosse, WI, to keep you busy from sunrise to sunset – and that is just as true in the winter as it is in summer! With longer days and plenty of warm sunshine, though, summer is arguably one of our favorite times to be out and about, exploring this charming river town’s beautiful bluffs and natural surroundings.
Located just a few hours from some of the biggest cities in the Midwest, La Crosse is an easy, fun, and relaxing weekend getaway. Whether you’ve come to spend your days hiking along the bluffs, biking on regional trails, boating or fishing on regional rivers, or enjoying the vibrant shops and restaurants in the downtown area, we know you’ll enjoy the many great things to do in La Crosse, WI.
Whether you’re in town enjoying an anniversary getaway, a romantic couples getaway with your sweetheart, or just a quick city break for the weekend, we have plenty of tips and suggestions to make the most of your time here. Below are ten of our favorite things to do in La Crosse, WI.
- For unbeatable views of Wisconsin’s Driftless Area and the majestic Mississippi River, take a hike along Grandad Bluff. Hiking to the top of the 600-foot-tall bluff is arguably one of the best things to do in La Crosse, WI. From there, you can also connect to other great hiking spots, including the Hixon Forest.
- Biking is another one of the most popular things to do in La Crosse, WI and the surrounding area. From the nearby Elroy-Sparta Trail to other regional gems like the La Crosse River State Trail and the Great River State Trail, there are endless biking adventures in the La Crosse area.
- The cold waters of Wisconsin’s Driftless Region rivers are an angler’s dream – and La Crosse is the perfect jumping-off point for all your fishing adventures. Summer is ideal for bass fishing.
- Fishing isn’t the only thing our local rivers are good for – they are also a paddler’s dream! The Upper Mississippi River National Wildlife & Fish Refuge is the perfect place to enjoy a relaxed paddle, while there are sections of the La Crosse, Black, and Mississippi Rivers that are perfect for those with some paddling experience.
- La Crosse is also a major destination along the Great River Road, a fantastic birdwatching destination. The spring and fall migrations through the Mississippi Flyway are spectacular, but there’s excellent birdwatching year-round. Great spots include Goose Island County Park, Van Loon State Wildlife Area, Norskedalen Heritage & Nature Center, Friends of Trempealeau Refuge, and the Upper Mississippi River National Wildlife & Fish Refuge.
- Whether beer, wine, or distilled spirits, if you love tasting and experiencing locally crafted beverages, then the Coulee Region Craft Beverage Trail is for you! It’s undoubtedly one of the most delicious things to do in La Crosse, WI.
- La Crosse is increasingly being hailed as a top foodie destination in Wisconsin, too, with plenty of delicious restaurants worth trying. Many of them are supplied by regional farms, which you can experience at local Farmers’ Markets. Visiting the local markets is one of our favorite things to do in La Crosse, WI, and there are several to choose from!
- Though summer adventures abound in La Crosse, there’s plenty more to do in the area that doesn’t involve time in the outdoors. Take, for instance, The Shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe, which people from all over the world visit. The shrine sits on 100 beautiful acres, which feature beautiful chapels, statues, gardens, and devotional areas.
- There is plenty of culture to enjoy in town, too, especially the Pump House Regional Arts Center.
- Car enthusiasts will be positively delighted by the Dahl Auto Museum, which celebrates the Dahl family’s involvement as automotive dealers over 100 years. The museum features many historical exhibits and beautifully restored classic automobiles from the turn of the century onward.
The #1 Best Romantic Getaway in Wisconsin
Whether you’re here to enjoy all these fantastic things to do in La Crosse, WI, or just looking for an upscale place to retreat with your sweetheart, there’s no better place for a romantic getaway in Wisconsin than the Castle La Crosse – Wisconsin’s leading Bed and Breakfast.
Our Bed and Breakfast in Wisconsin is located in the charming and historic heart of downtown La Crosse, which is just a two or three-hour drive from Madison, WI, Milwaukee, WI, or Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN. It’s easy to get here from just about anywhere in the Midwest and offers incomparable luxury lodging in an impeccably restored home dating back to 1892.
Apart from our stunning common rooms, you’ll find five well-appointed guest rooms, each named for the exquisite natural woods used throughout the home. We offer a range of high-end amenities, and every stay includes a complimentary breakfast. Our decadent breakfast is anything but ordinary, featuring as many local farm-to-table ingredients as possible.
We truly offer unique one-of-a-kind lodging near all the best things to do in La Crosse, WI. Book your room with us today!